This summer, we will highlight the Jenison ArtMoves program. Each week, we will feature one of the talented student artists and local businesses that have supported the Jenison Visual Arts Department.
Please join us in celebrating our students and thanking these local partners by visiting their businesses.
ArtMoves Featured Artist:
- Grade: just completed 11th grade
- Favorite Color: Forest Green
- Favorite Food: Pad Thai
- Favorite Book: Banana Fish (manga)
- Favorite Movie: Kill Bill
- Favorite class (besides art): World Religions or Sociology
- A smell she really doesn’t like: Gasoline
- Plans for the Summer: I am attending an Interfaith camp over the summer.
- Something she wants to get better at: Drawing…
- Something she is really good at: Procrastinating
- Musical instrument? – No
- Pets? If so, what are they and the pet’s name – I have a cat named Whiskers
- Age when she will feel grown up? – 27
- ‘Happy Place’? – In my dreams
Artist Statement: What I learned while making this project is that you shouldn’t blend oil pastels with a blending stump! I also learned that I need to use oil pastels lightly and gently. Another thing I learned is how fun drawing gourds is! I also think I could have contrasted the gourds a bit more with different colors. I think it would be fun to come back to this piece some time in the future and redraw it.
Alison’s artwork has been leased for 1 year and is on display at Hughes Management. Thank you Hughes Management for investing in our students and blessing your clients with this fun piece of art!
ArtMoves is an annual art leasing program created by the Jenison Visual Arts Department. The goal is to connect our talented students with local businesses, and to promote the outstanding work of our student artists.
Business owners in and around the community attend the annual gala and have the opportunity to lease their favorite artwork for a year. The artwork remains on display and at the end of the lease, the student receives their artwork back to proudly display at home.
Many hands go into making this program a reality! A heartfelt thank you goes out to…
- Our amazing staff of Jenison art teachers fostering creativity in all students
- Our high school art teachers and students who help mat the artwork
- Mr. Albert’s high school wood shop class for making the custom frames
- Norbert’s Glass for the donation of the glass for the frames
- The many business partners who invest in our students and value the community we live in!
ArtMoves Gala photography by Damion Van Slyke Photography.